SANTA BARBARA COUNTY SUPERINTENDENT, SUSAN SALCIDO, VISITS EVERY CLASSROOM AT COLD SPRING SCHOOL
It was such a joy to have our SB County Superintendent, Susan Salcido, visit our student’s classrooms yesterday. Susan Salcido and her team at the SBCEO have been such a support to our school community. Here are just a few things they have helped us out with: transportation for staff from the south to and from school while hwy. 101 was closed, sending staff to run the CSS office when personnel were sick, sending a team of school psychologists to support staff and students and ensuring I received the most up to date information from the OEM.
COLD SPRING SCHOOL NIGHT AT WESTMONT COLLEGE BASKETBALL
This Saturday, January 27th, Westmont College is making it Cold Spring School night at the basketball games! Westmont invites you to a free night of entertainment and community fun at the Warrior basketball games! All Cold Spring School students and families will be given free admission to the games. #12 nationally ranked Westmont Women’s Basketball team takes on #2 ranked Vanguard at 5:30PM and the #20 Westmont men play at 7:30PM. The Westmont Women’s Basketball team, coached by Cold Spring kindergarten parent, Kirsten Moore, will be signing autographs for all the kids after the women’s game in the lobby.
UPDATE ON THE COREY FAMILY
I met with Dave Corey this afternoon and gave him the cards the students made for Summer as well as a package the sixth-grade students made for Summer. They are no longer in the ICU but in a regular hospital room where they are continuing to get stronger each and every day. The family is very appreciative for all the support they continue to receive from our school community.
Our hearts are broken from the loss of these beautiful children from Cold Spring School. Many parents are wondering how they can help the families suffering from such devastation. Below are some gofundme links.
Morgan, Sawyer and Summer Corey Fund Link
This is the official fundraising page of Morgan, Summer and Sawyer Corey. This fundraiser has been created by me, Taylor Owens (Morgan Corey’s biological sister) on behalf of Morgan’s biological parents- David Corey and Teresa Owens. Summer and Sawyer’s biological parents are David Corey and Carie Baker.
Carie Baker Fund Link
This is the OFFICIAL fundraiser for CARIE BAKER-Corey. It has been sanctioned by the Baker family and coordinated by her best friend, Christine LoMonaco. Her loved ones have been non-stop in the hospital since that horrible Tuesday morning that brought the devastating floods to our treasured Montecito.
Sutthithepa Family Fund Link
Established by Mike Caldwell, Oom's Supervisor at Toyota, and while I haven't met Mike, he is clearly compassionate and caring man. These funds will go to Yuphawan (Aw) and Banophoem (Perm).
If the above links don't work, please use these:
THOMAS FIRE/MUDSLIDE BENEFIT EVENTS
There are numerous community events coming up to support the victims of the Thomas fire and mudslides if you are interested:
Silent Auction for Mudslide Familywww.facebook.com
FIGUEROA MOUNTAIN BREWING COMPANY THURSDAY JANUARY 25TH FROM 7-9PM Come to Fig Mountain on Jan 25th to bid on a variety of auction items and grab a brew.
There are numerous GoFundMe pages to help support the families that have lost a life, their homes, businesses, etc.
SoCal Strong Concert for Thomas Fire Victims Fund, Sunday 1/28 starting at 3:00pm with performances by, Rachel Sedacca, Sister Velvet, Tatamount, and many more..
Thomas Fire Benefit Festival, Saturday 2/3 starting at 2:00pm with performances by, Kevin Costner and Modern West, Olivia Newton-John, Colbie Caillat, and many more..
Many of you have asked how you can assist with supporting the needs of the school. Below is a list of items we could use to support our recess and lunch Gazebo activities with the students:
- Large mat and or foam interlocking squares (so students can sit on the ground)
- Chairs or stools so students can sit at table spaces
- Pens- fine and thick markers
- Coloring books (the adult mandala style for older students and regular for younger)
- Quick Games like Connect Four, Trouble, Uno, Decks of Cards
- Drawing Paper White and Color
- Child Scissors
- Glue/Glue Sticks
- Fancy Duct Tape for Duct tape crafts
SHOWCASE OF STARS
All students are encouraged to organize a fun act, up to 2-minutes in length, to perform Thursday, March 1st and Friday, March 2nd at 6:00pm. Auditions will be held afterschool in the auditorium on January 29th and February 1st. Students are encouraged to sign up for auditions on the bulletin board outside the office. A flier with all the details is attached to this post.
KID’S MOVIE NIGHT AND ADULT COUNSELING AND/OR DATE NIGHT
This Friday, January 26th from 6-8:00pm, I will be hosting a Kid’s Movie Night in the auditorium. The featured movie will beSing. Parents are encouraged to drop their child off with his/her favorite blanket and then go enjoy a night out in Santa Barbara or a night in the Library with Dr. Brooke Sears where she will be supporting parents as needed. Please RSVP with Coral Godlis (Cgodlis@coldspringschool.net) if you are planning on attending the free counseling session so we can plan accordingly. Popcorn and drinks will be provided for the kids.
STORYTELLING WITH MICHAEL KATZ
The famous storyteller Michael Katz will be telling stories on Thursday, February 1st from 6-7pm in the auditorium. Parents are invited to drop off or stay. Snacks will be provided.
The new date and location for our Science Fair is Tuesday, February 20th at the SB Zoo from 4-6:00pm. This year’s theme will be Conservation, Animals and Ecosystems. We are very grateful to the SB Zoo for giving us this venue free of charge and for not charging our families an entrance fee. More details to follow in next week’s bulletin.
FAMILY WORKSHOP FOR BOXTALES THEATER RESIDENCY
All third through fifth grade families are invited to come join us in the CSS Auditorium on Thursday, January 25th from 2-3pmfor our Boxtales Residency PerformanceofAesops Fables. You won't want to miss it! Our students are doing fabulous work with Mr. Andrews as they learn the fundamentals of acting, theater, and the stage.
Our upper grade Basketball team is competing against Adams Elementary School this Friday, January 26th at 3:45pm at the SBJrHigh. I will be sporting all my Dolphin attire as we cheer on our Cold Spring team!
GOVERNANCE BOARD MEETING HIGHLIGHTS: JANUARY 19, 2018
- The Governance Board conducted their annual organizational meeting. The Board elected officers as follows: Board President is Jennifer Miller, Vice President is Gregg Peterson, and the Clerk is Kim Ferrarin. The Board discussed a schedule for the year. The Governance Board will meet for their regular session meeting every second Monday of the month at 6:00 pm.
- Dr. Alzina thanked the Cold Spring School Governance Board, teachers and staff, parent community, the Santa Barbara County Education Office staff and local agencies for providing support during the mudslide.
- The Governance Board approved the 2017-18 First Interim Report. Dr. Santa Cruz, Business Manager, reported a positive certification for the current year as of October 31, 2017.
- The Governance Board reviewed and accepted the annual independent audit for the fiscal period ending June 30, 2017. There were no audit findings to report.
- The Governance Board approved the School Accountability Report Card (SARC) presented by Dr. Alzina. Click here to view the SARC.
- The Governance Board approved the Single Plan for Student Achievement presented by Dr. Alzina.
- The Governance Board approved the J 13-A report submitted by Dr. Alzina for allowance of attendance because of emergency conditions regarding the school closure during the Thomas Fire, December 7-15, 2017. Dr. Alzina will submit another J 13-A report regarding the five days students were not in attendance for the recent mudslide in Montecito.
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
January 25 – Boxtales Residency Performance, 2-3pm, auditorium
January 26 – Basketball Game, CSS vs. Adams, SBJrH, 3:45pm
January 26 – Kid’s Movie Night, 6-8pm, auditorium
January 27 – Westmont Basketball invites CSS, 5:30pm
February 1 – Michael Katz Storytelling, 6-7pm, auditorium
February 5-8 - Book Fair
February 6 – Superintendent/Principal’s coffee, 8:30am
February 14 – Valentine’s Day Pancake Breakfast, 8:30am
February 16 and 19 – No School, President’s Holiday
February 20 - Science Fair – SB Zoo, 4-6pm
*Attached you will find today's issue (#5) of What's Up in Montecito as well as a few photos.