ABOUT THE DISTRICT

dghh

Cold Spring School is a TK-6 public school that serves approximately 194 students in a small classroom setting. The faculty consists of a Superintendent/Principal, 12 classroom teachers, a Music Specialist, an Art Specialist, a Technology & Garden Specialist, a STEAM Specialist, Reading Specialist/Librarian, PE Specialist, and 13 instructional assistants. The faculty is supported by a Chief Business Official/General Counsel, a Business Office Coordinator, an Executive Assistant/HR Director, an Office Assistant, a School Cook & Nutrition Specialist, and a Maintenance/Operations Supervisor. In addition, Cold Spring has professional artists and musicians that provide instruction in visual arts, ceramic sculpture, and instrumental music, film, and drama.

Cold Spring was designated a California Distinguished School in 1986 and recognized as a Blue Ribbon School in 1992 and a Gold Ribbon School in 2016, an Exemplary Arts in Education Award School in 2019, and a Pivotal Practice Award in 2022. The students of Cold Spring have consistently performed in the top 5-10% of all elementary schools in the state of California. We believe the high achievement level of our students to be linked with several factors including a professional teaching staff, nurturing home environments, and excellent student motivation and effort.

Historical Picture of the District

History of the Cold Spring School District

The Cold Spring School District began legally on April 5, 1889 when a small plot of ground, a portion of Lot 162 of Old Pueblo Land of Santa Barbara was set aside for a school on the south side of Sycamore Canyon Road. Cold Spring School began legally in 1889, but five years passed before a building was ready for use in 1894. The first school property was deeded to the School District on October 18, 1889 and the second section was deeded on December 4, 1889. This property was deeded to the Union Realty Company on January 26, 1927, at the time of the building of the present school.

This photo shows Cold Spring School circa 1900's with the bell tower in the lower right corner of the picture.